Thursday, June 15, 2006

Southern Comfort: The Good Stuff Edition

There are just some things in life that make you smile.

One of the little pleasures in life has to be getting a new pair of socks. There are very few things as comfortable as putting on a new pair of really good socks...preferably a nice pair of athletic socks. If you have ever gotten a pair of American Eagle socks you totally know what I am talking about. If your feet had a face...well that would just be weird, but if they did I am pretty sure that they would smile. I got this great pair of microfiber dress socks the other week and, "wow" just those can make your day go well.

Another simple pleasure in life is climbing into a freshly made bed with new sheets. What a wonderful feeling to slide underneath the tightly tucked-in sides of the crisp, washed sheets. If you have ever had your sheets hang-dried well then you...hmmm let's just say that if you haven't let your sheets air dry then stop reading this because you obviously don't know what is good in life and these little pointers aren't going to help you with your meaningless life. When I was a child, one of my favorite things was to get into bed at night after my mother had put my hang-dried sheets back on my bed. They always had a very clean and airy smell to them that normal fabric softener or detergent can't replicate. Have you ever climbed into bed when your sheets are a little cold? It is very refreshing to snuggle under the sheets when the air is brisk and you have to wait for your body heat to warm up the fabric. Satin sheets are classic for this. It can be 105 degrees all day long but when you climb into bed your sheets are silky and chilled. They just snap up that nippy night air.

Finally, one can never underestimate the soothing power of a new broken-in tee. J.Crew, Jimmy'z, and American Eagle are well known for this. The thin fabric of a new "T" against your skin puts a smile on your face and a warmth in your heart...or maybe I'm confusing that with a goodnight kiss. Either way, they can be a great way to relax in the evening or the perfect pick-me-up for the start of your day. The other benefit of a great t-shirt is that they pretty much never go out of style and you can wear them under just about everything. A basic solid tee can be worn under everything...including work clothes and even the occasional ringer tee can step up in a pinch.

My final thoughts for the day. Splurge today and get a comfy tee, a new pair of socks and relax on your freshly washed, air-dried sheets this evening and enjoy the wonderful summer weather. So that's how it's done here in Western PA. This is Gmack signing out. You stay classy world.

2 comments:

Mair said...

clean sheets are even better with freshly shaved legs. I'm sure you know...

Justin said...

I absolutely hate tucked in sheets. I always end up getting dreams where I need to run but can't since my freaking legs won't move. I don't even bother making my bed anymore, except for the plastic sheet- she always goes on first. Hey-o!