Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I've Got One Hand In My Pocket...And The Other One's Carrying a Shopping Basket

How many times have you gone to the grocery store with only one thing to pick up and then you end up carrying home an armload? I know that it is inevitable that when I go, I see all of the cleverly placed sale items and I cave like a sandcastle built too close to the sea. I start rationalizing to myself that it is much more economical to get it now when it is on sale because we are going to use it. Then, before I know it, we have 8 cans of salsa and no chips to eat with it. There are even times that I become so distracted with all of the things that I don't need that I end up forgetting what I came for in the first place. This usually doesn't happen when I shop with a grocery list; however, I tend to just run and pick up what I need last minute. Since I do most of the cooking and my things can tend to be exotic, I need fresh ingredients and this inhibits purchasing ahead of time. It is even worse when I shop with my lovely wife. We both start noticing things that look good and 'BAM' we have a $40 bill. Supermarkets are pretty clever. It is so nice of them to put those little green or red baskets around the store so that once you arms get too "conveniently" heavy that you can unload it into a suitcase-sized tote.


That's all I have to say about that.

So in summation: eat your green vegetables and make sure that your campfire is out before packing up camp...oh, and beware the grocery tote.

3 comments:

CharlesPeirce said...

Do you have a Costco anywhere near you? That way you can have a swimming pool of salsa and no chips.

Mair said...

this is why I love the charlottesville city market. Saturdays, April through October...you can do buy all the fresh foods you wish, from local growers, at reasonable prices...and you're set for the week! You can also buy a cup of totally sweet fair trade organic coffee for a dollar (to sip while you walk around in the blazing c-ville sun), baked goods made by 105-year-old Southern black women, or, if the mood strikes you, walk down the street to the walk-up crepe place. The perfect saturday morning. The joy of it makes you disdain grocery stores entirely. (That said, I have to go make my grocery list now).

Justin said...

I only like my coffee when it has the crisp flavor of exploitation, fair trade coffee tastes too much like self-righteousness...

...just kidding, but seriously, I like my food flavored with the blood of peasants, or barbeque sauce- they taste so much alike!