Friday, June 09, 2006

Peeps: Not just Friends or Marshmallow Chicks

Ankle wrap, ankle strap, leg wrap, espadrilles, slingback, slides, pumps, stiletto, kitten heel, flats, mules, and wedges...goodness gracious women have options. I just made a dent into the various styles that women have to choose from when it comes to picking the right shoe for the right occasion. So, let me elaborate on what's in right now and what to wear it with.

First and foremost, my personal favorite has to be the peep-toe heel. This can come in about three different forms, but the peep-toe pump is probably the most common. The wedge is the other big seller athough it isn't as dressy. The peep-toe pump means the a majority of the shoe is enclosed without any straps attaching around the legs. The height of the spike can vary anywhere from 2-4 inches usually with 2 1/2 to 3 inches being the most common. These shoes look wonderful with dresses that are just below the knee or shorter...the A-line skirt is without a doubt the classic choice for the peep-toe (see blog about dresses). My wife owns a gorgeous copper pair from BCBG to go with several of her dresses. These shoes look great with capri jeans and even gaucho pants, but leave the shorts at home with these on. An enclosed shoe doesn't work well with shorter pants.

The next popular summer item would be the espadrille. This comes in many different forms. Flats and ankle wrap flats are great but I don't think that they accent the female calf muscle very well. When picking these out keep in mind that the soles can be very hard thus shortening the comfort life. The wedge ankle-wrap espadrille is my favorite and my stunning wife just ordered a pair from VS recently to go with a summer style dress. The flash of color due to the strapping can spice up any wardrobe and if the toe is open, they work well with shorts. The summer dress is also a fitting choice for an evening out with the espadrille.

Finally the last "in" shoe for the summer is the strappy heel. This comes in one of two heights. The kitten heel is a much shorter heel and is great for someone who has back problems and can't deal with a high stiletto heel. They also look great on tall women because they allow for leg definition without the cost of height. My favorite in this category would be the spike stiletto ankle strap modified slingback. Basically what this means is that it is a higher heel with a slingback strap that has another strap that goes around your ankle. This gives for a very svelte look with the support of an ankle strap. These look great with many different outfits because they are airy and light.

For figuring out what you like, check out sites like www.neimanmarcus.com or www.jcrew.com or www.nordstrom.com or www.bcbg.com or www.victoriassecret.com . Any of these sites show you the shoes with various dresses/outfits...then unless you want to pay $350 for a pair of Steve Madden heels, go elsewhere with your styles in mind.

8 comments:

RJ said...

I don't think it's helping you shed the "I wear women's clothes" image when all of your posts have been, in great detail, about that very subject of late.

GMack said...

Well, I can wax eloquently about men's clothing but you'd never listen so I speak to the audience that might listen. But seriously, womens shoes are so comfortable...I mean ummm BEER.

Justin said...

What audience? Who reads our blogs other than the people we're directly linked to?

As for men's clothes, I think Redhurt only wears clothes with a Colorado Mammoth logo, Hans-Georg prefers predominantly black clothes with some white trim, Charles' mother still picks out his clothes, and J. Morgan only purchases fair trade clothes after he makes sure they aren't woven by Ecuadorian children, or something. I might be the only person besides you who really appreciates a really gay pair of pants, and my fashion interest stops at the sale rack at Express...

GMack said...

Well, I like to pretend that tons of people read my blog...similar to a magazine article. I agree with the fact that you and I might be the only ones who appreciate gay pants...although e.a.p.'s husband has several pair of Express pants. Oh and we both appreciate Movado watches.

Anonymous said...

I would like to add my testimony on behalf of the anonymous millions whose lives have been changed by the "fashion, trends, movies, etc." blog. I wasn't even aware that kittens could wear heals. I'll never have to buy a Vogue again. Thanks gmack.
- Michelle (names may or may not have been changed to protect the anonymity of the author)

Donkey Patrol said...

I think for your next blog you should do a review of candle scents, to placate 'candle scent suppliers'. That would be totally sweet.

For a heaping dose of KNOWLEDGE!!!!! go to my blog: www.keithandandrew.blogspot.com

See you at the Brothers Brooks!

-Andrew

GMack said...

I'm glad that my blog is read by the masses...and basically all I am doing is attempting to educate. I love reading all of your comments.

Justin said...

I think blogging with a purpose defeats the purpose...